Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>A new ATM scam
markem 07:57 PM 04-16-2011
This one is new to me, but I don't follow the ATM scam news anymore. It is quite ingenious and likely to work quite well, especially in places like malls, and grocery stores where the ATMs don't have cameras or other meaningful surveillance.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/crim...wary-atm-users

Basically, the thieves glue down the enter, clear and cancel buttons. The user enters the card, enters the pin, enters a cash amount and then finds that they can't hit enter to get the money, or hit cancel to void the transaction and get the card back. They should wait for the transaction to time out and get their card back, but most will likely wander off to try to find someone to help them with the problem. The thief only needs to come up, loosens the enter key, press the enter key and walk off with your money (and card if they want it).

Guess that I am going to have to remember to press the enter key to make sure it works before I use an ATM (something I almost never do except on travel).
[Reply]
688sonarmen 08:04 PM 04-16-2011
Thanks Mark, I would more than likely wait, but the wife would go somewhere else. Good info!
[Reply]
Bill86 08:24 PM 04-16-2011
Really....? The hell is wrong with people.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 08:28 PM 04-16-2011
Good things most ATMs are going Touch Screen
[Reply]
Zeuceone 08:43 PM 04-16-2011
I usually just waste my time looking for one of my branch ATMs. Don't like paying and ATM and another one from my bank for using a now affiliated ATM.
[Reply]
68TriShield 08:46 PM 04-16-2011
Originally Posted by Zeuceone:
I usually just waste my time looking for one of my branch ATMs. Don't like paying and ATM and another one from my bank for using a now affiliated ATM.
Same here,I'll never use a freelance ATM except in a dire emergency.

Still good information to have Mark,thanks. :-)
[Reply]
backwoods357 12:26 AM 04-17-2011
Branch ATM's are often targeted. I was just reading about a skimmer installed over the front of the card slot on a branch ATM. They made a plastic piece of trim that tucked the camera above the unit and looked like part of the ATM housing. I'm more worried about gas pumps out here, they seem to be the biggest threat locally.

Edit: Ahh found the article: http://krebsonsecurity.com/2011/04/a...-cash-machine/
[Reply]
Ogre 07:21 AM 04-17-2011
Its getting to the point its dangerous to buy products anywhere. It looks like there are more scams than legit websites on the net!!!
[Reply]
BnBTobacco 10:16 AM 04-17-2011
ATM scams are becoming common nowadays. These people are not only contented with credit card hacking and now they're on field doing some operations. This is a serious matter that needs to be addressed immediately.
[Reply]
Up