Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Any Concrete Finishers here?
smitdavi 05:30 PM 04-02-2009
Katie and I are buying a new house and it needs new counter tops. We really like the look of concrete. So....I've been reading alot of DIY sites and how-to's on how to do this. Between my father and myself I think we can do this. I was just curious if anyone here was good with finishing concrete and how hard it was. Or does anyone here have concrete counter tops and how do you like them.
[Reply]
tsolomon 12:25 PM 04-03-2009
I did a lot of concrete work for my father's company which specialized in swimming pools. I have done a lot of sidewalks, patios and pads. I have tried to finish concrete and I'm not good at it. The hard part is being able to trowel it smooth, which takes a certain touch that I don't have. There are many other issues with concrete such as getting the mix right. Then you have to float it and let it setup before you can trowel it, wait too long and you can't do anything with it. You can hide mistakes on a sidewalk, but I think a counter would be very difficult to do and get it to look right. I haven't done any concrete work in over 20 years, but I would find an experienced finisher to do the work.
[Reply]
bobarian 12:53 PM 04-03-2009
I have see where concrete countertops are made upside down in molds using laminate as the bottom of the mold for a smoother fihish. :-)
[Reply]
smitdavi 01:48 PM 04-03-2009
We knew it was going to be VERY labor intensive. I think were going to do the basement countertop first and not scrap the old one just in case we can't get it to turn out right. We'll start small and work our way to the kitchen. I'll keep you posted on how it turns out. My dad has already picked up a book and been reading up on it for the last few days.
[Reply]
Up