Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Blackberry 8820 question
Junior 08:33 AM 04-01-2009
Alright I have a question for you Blackberry gurus. I just bought a used 8820 off of ebay. I know I should have bought it somewhere else, but I don’t want to sign a new contract. Anyway here is my question. Is there any way to turn off the password part where I don’t have to enter the password after not using it in 15 min.? Also is there software where I can get a address book so I don’t have to type in all my contacts on the phone it’s self?
[Reply]
tsolomon 09:14 AM 04-01-2009
You should be able to go into settings, options, security options, general settings and password and disable it.
[Reply]
Junior 09:23 AM 04-01-2009
I tried that, but there is a red star next to it so it won't allow me to do it. Is there a way I can reset it all the way back to the way it came out of the factory. I tried the wipe on it, but no luck.

Also what use is the WiFi it it won't let you use the browser while connected to a network?
[Reply]
jledou 09:47 AM 04-01-2009
In the same place is there an IT policy listed as a corporation? We have the password enabled for us and it is locked down tight so that we can not take it off. Believe me we have tried.
It might also be a security software outside of the BB that runs as an add-on to the main software. Someone beyond me would have to help with this one though.
[Reply]
tsolomon 10:44 AM 04-01-2009
Originally Posted by Junior:
I tried that, but there is a red star next to it so it won't allow me to do it. Is there a way I can reset it all the way back to the way it came out of the factory. I tried the wipe on it, but no luck.

Also what use is the WiFi it it won't let you use the browser while connected to a network?
There is an option to wipe, or you can enter the password wrong 10 times and that will force a wipe. Ours are secured by policies that enforced passwords and prevent us from loading additional software.
[Reply]
Junior 01:22 PM 04-02-2009
Got it figured out. What a pain in the butt. I had to completly wipe the phone JL_Cmdr, and reload the operating system. Well now it works like it should. It must have had some old corp security software.
[Reply]
Thrak 01:59 PM 04-02-2009
It was attached to a BES and they didnt remove the Policy before deactivating it. Your method was only one of 2 ways I know to get around it.

<-- Blackberry administrator :-)
[Reply]
Junior 05:05 PM 04-02-2009
Originally Posted by Thrak:
It was attached to a BES and they didnt remove the Policy before deactivating it. Your method was only one of 2 ways I know to get around it.

<-- Blackberry administrator :-)
My company will probably turn right around and slap another one on it when I put the company email on it. Oh well I got to play with it for a couple of days, and it only took me a couple of days to figure it out. No wonder my wife calls me stubborn, and hard headed.
[Reply]
ucubed 06:18 PM 04-02-2009
You could have downloaded the latest firmware and reinstall the OS
[Reply]
Thrak 04:02 PM 04-03-2009
that doesnt always work ucubed... sometimes you have to use javaloader to do a low level wipe before reloading the os.
[Reply]
Junior 11:00 PM 04-03-2009
I ordered two Blackberry phones at the same time. One 8820, and one 8310. Well I think I have settled ont eh 8310. Now my wife got to looking at the 8820, so now I guess I will be selling my Treo Centro.
[Reply]
Up