Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Size Difference = How Much Smoking Difference?
JoeCool87TC 04:06 PM 01-22-2011
Within the same tobacco blend and identical rolling techniques, what kind of "smoking" differences will there be between a Robusto (5 1/4 x 52) and a Prominente (5 1/2 x 56)?

I have an opportunity to get a decent deal on some Prominente size sticks where I already know I love the Robusto size. Will there be big difference or will they smoke about the same?

:-) Thanks!
[Reply]
kelmac07 04:07 PM 01-22-2011
If you are talking about the 601 Blue...no difference at all...both yummy!! :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
Ogre 04:12 PM 01-22-2011
between those sizes I dont think there would be much difference.
[Reply]
akumushi 05:05 PM 01-22-2011
Depends on the brand. Some Prominentes are blended a little milder to fit the pace of the cigar. It also depends on how much time you are willing to dedicate to smoking. Are you always going to have 2+ hrs to smoke? If not, you might want to stick to the robusto and light up a second if you have the time and desire for more smoking when you're done. Otherwise, you might find yourself pitching the second half of the prominente when the time is short. While I love the size, I find I don't have the time and occasion for a prominente more than a few times a year.
EDIT, I didn't realize the "prominente" in the brand your were contemplating was just a fatter robusto, in that case there is going to be minimal difference beside the smoking time.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 05:32 PM 01-22-2011
Originally Posted by akumushi:
Depends on the brand. Some Prominentes are blended a little milder to fit the pace of the cigar. It also depends on how much time you are willing to dedicate to smoking. Are you always going to have 2+ hrs to smoke? If not, you might want to stick to the robusto and light up a second if you have the time and desire for more smoking when you're done. Otherwise, you might find yourself pitching the second half of the prominente when the time is short. While I love the size, I find I don't have the time and occasion for a prominente more than a few times a year.
EDIT, I didn't realize the "prominente" in the brand your were contemplating was just a fatter robusto, in that case there is going to be minimal difference beside the smoking time.
LOL, I was going to say, it only went up about 20mins smoking time! Good advice all the same.

Joe- I would think there would be minimal difference in taste. Now if you had smoked lanceros and went to the Prominante then you might notice a difference.
[Reply]
akumushi 06:54 PM 01-22-2011
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash:
LOL, I was going to say, it only went up about 20mins smoking time! Good advice all the same.

Joe- I would think there would be minimal difference in taste. Now if you had smoked lanceros and went to the Prominante then you might notice a difference.
Prominente is the Cuban galera name for a double corona, (7 5/8" by 49 rg)
so I thought he was talking about a DC at first.
It's one of my big cigar pet peeves when NC manufacturers use the names of traditional vitolas for something new. Just name it something new already, don't call it something it isn't and add to the already confusing nomenclature.
[Reply]
Tyler 08:21 PM 01-22-2011
It's one of my big cigar pet peeves when NC manufacturers use the names of traditional vitolas for something new. Just name it something new already, don't call it something it isn't and add to the already confusing nomenclature.
Agreed! Names mean nothing to me now. I always look up the length and ring gauge instead of just going by whatever size it is called. :-)
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 09:09 PM 01-22-2011
totally agree! and it confuses the heck out of new smokers as well! I remember trying to learn all the different vitolas and finding many were "miss-named" as it were.
[Reply]
JoeCool87TC 10:21 PM 01-22-2011
Yes, confusion galore with sizes and all!

However I researched carefully and, with the help of all you fine folks, I was able to purchase a box of 20 EO 601 Blue "Prominentes" for $90.00. As far as I can tell that's a pretty good deal; maybe not a steal but a good low price.

They're slightly larger than the Robusto by a "smigin" so hopefully the smoking experience will be the same, 'cause I love the Robusto they're awesome! :-)

Smoke 'em if you've got 'em! :-)
[Reply]
Shemp Howard 12:30 AM 01-23-2011
Robustos tend to be my "go to" size. However, look at how many different sizes come under the name "Robusto". I just look at numbers now.
[Reply]
Bill86 04:36 AM 01-23-2011
Originally Posted by Wallbright:
I always look up the length and ring gauge instead of just going by whatever size it is called. :-)
Agreed.

Originally Posted by Shemp Howard:
Robustos tend to be my "go to" size. However, look at how many different sizes come under the name "Robusto". I just look at numbers now.
Agreed.

I like the fact that CC's don't come in stupid 60x6 sizes or really anything bigger than a 56-57 and that's even few and far. Most are 52 and under :-)
[Reply]
Up