Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Egg Drop
cbsmokin 08:42 AM 03-31-2010
My Kindergarten son has to do an egg drop. No more than 7" x 7" square, simple design.

I have two ideas:

1. Marsh mellows, not too tightly packed and likely covering the outside of the container as well.

2. Suspension in pantyhose inside of container allowing movement, but not enough to touch sides.

Anyone have any that worked? Simple design no parachutes?
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:46 AM 03-31-2010
Seems like a 7"x7" box filled with packing "peanuts" around the egg would work.
[Reply]
Subvet642 09:25 AM 03-31-2010
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Seems like a 7"x7" box filled with packing "peanuts" around the egg would work.
7X7 inch box filled with Jello. Allow to set with egg inside.
[Reply]
tobii3 09:27 AM 03-31-2010
ya beat me to it!!
[Reply]
cbsmokin 02:08 PM 03-31-2010
Thanks guys. Only worry about the jello is the mess, 80 degrees expected on drop day. I'm sure my kids teacher will love a drippy box.
[Reply]
tobii3 02:35 PM 03-31-2010
hahaha...we're not talkin' 'bout making Lime jello, bro!!!

Knox unflavored Gelatin. Just use less water...voila!

:-)
[Reply]
leasingthisspace 02:43 PM 03-31-2010
Jello sounds good. What about the foaming insultation stuff. Get a box hang egg in center of box. Then take 2 plastic bags one on each side and spray in insta-fill cut off enough to make it 7*7. After it lands tear open box pull apart the 2 bags and cross you fingers.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
JE3146 04:20 PM 03-31-2010
use half inch soft foam on the interior surface of the box.. then a hammock like contraption to hold the egg, and rubber bands attached to that.

In fact. you can run to the store and get an egg container people use when backpacking.

Then cut out one egg container.. drill holes.. attach rubber bands to it... and figure out a way to mount it to the box. Make sure you have rubber bands attached to all 3 axis, to dampen the blow from all angles... then if it strikes the edge of the box.. the half inch foam should protect it.

:-)
[Reply]
JaKaacH 05:24 PM 03-31-2010
Is he allowed to experiment at home before the "official" drop?

Sounds like a fun couple hours with your son trying different ideas.

Put the jello in ziploc freezer bags...
Do you have a infant in the house? Pampers should absorb the shock..

Tempur-Pedic foam is NASA approved..:-)
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 05:36 PM 03-31-2010
I'm thinking retro rockets. It may not work but would be lots of fun.

P.s. All the ideas here sound better to me.
[Reply]
Silound 09:27 PM 03-31-2010
I had to do one of these as a kid with toothpicks and glue, nothing else.

The key to a successful drop is having some part of the assembly that will crush. collapse, or compress freely and gently upon impact (I used weak glue joints on the outer structure of mine).

The best thing is to design an internal "egg carrier" and then place it in something that will absorb the impact easily.

First thing that comes to mind though is a 7x7 wad of bubble wrap :-)
[Reply]
taltos 09:43 PM 03-31-2010
Can he hard boil the egg first? Check the rules and see if this is not allowed.:-)
[Reply]
filly 09:54 PM 03-31-2010
Not to be a party pooper here but isn't HE supposed to design the thing? I mean as a teacher ( yeah I am) the kids are supposed to think and get creative. Ok, stepping off soap box now.

BTW, your kids teacher will hate the knox mess even if it has no sugar. lol
Trust me on this one. :-)
[Reply]
cbsmokin 11:22 AM 04-01-2010
Originally Posted by filly:
Not to be a party pooper here but isn't HE supposed to design the thing? I mean as a teacher ( yeah I am) the kids are supposed to think and get creative. Ok, stepping off soap box now.

BTW, your kids teacher will hate the knox mess even if it has no sugar. lol
Trust me on this one. :-)
He is definitely involved, but lets be realistic here, just like any other project a lot of the work falls on the parents.
[Reply]
kydsid 12:19 PM 04-01-2010
Way back in the day I won my egg drop at my school. I don't really remember what I did other than I used toilet paper. But back then it was a brand new idea and there were no rules to the game so mine might have been the size of a basketball for all I remember.
[Reply]
Savvy 01:13 PM 04-01-2010
Popcorn is key. Dropped my egg from 15 ft with a good stuffing of popcorn in the box, and it cradles it just fine. Just make sure the egg is surrounded on all sides...
[Reply]
Up