Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Entertainment>Clear 4G home internet
cricky101 08:18 AM 12-03-2010
I tried searching for this, but didn't come up with much ...

I got a flyer in the mail offering new 4G internet service in my home and was wondering if anyone has had any experience using it as home wi-fi. I think it would involve some kind of router/wi-hot spot I'd have to rent or buy from the provider.

I am in the process of dropping my cable TV service (I have bundled TV and cable internet currently) and when I drop the TV service, the provider jacks up the price of the internet service.

From what I can tell, the 4G would be cheaper, but I'm concerned about how well it works, especially with things like streaming Netflix to the TV.

I'm not all that technical with this stuff, but don't want my streaming netflix stuttering all the time because the 4g is too slow ...
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:25 AM 12-03-2010
I was a Beta tester for Clear in the Portland, OR metro area. After the testing period Clear provided me with free service for 6 months.

Clear is a wireless technology so it's not as fast as any wired connection provided by the local telephone or cable TV companies. However, it is pretty fast and it is convenient. For desktops or other wired devices they have an access point that provides a wired interface so all your existing computers and other devices will work fine.

If you have good reception in your home for the Clear service it may be for you. I found the service a little spotty when I was trying to use it on my laptop around town, but I have heard that the coverage has improved. The antenna for my laptop used to get a little warm, actually hot, but that may also have been improved.

The one killer for me is that the service was pretty expensive here so after the free service period was over with I returned the equipment.
[Reply]
Up