Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Any Network Techs?
DougBushBC 05:49 AM 07-31-2009
So I am in dire need of a quick help from a Network Tech. I have a few EXTREMELY choice sticks to trade for a network tech that can hop into chat and give me a few pointers.

Long & Short:
I just upgraded pretty much every piece of tech in our small office (5 new PCs, 1 New Color Laser Printer, All new monitors, etc.) The kicker is that I also got a new switch for our network which has always worked rather adhoc through a sonic wall firewall that had 5 ports. I got a 16 port Cisco Small Business Unmanaged Switch and now all my IP addresses are all over the board and no device can discover the rest of the network...

HELP!
[Reply]
dunng 07:10 AM 07-31-2009
Make sure you use a crossover cable from the Sonicwall to the switch. :-)
[Reply]
gnukfu 09:42 AM 07-31-2009
Originally Posted by dunng:
Make sure you use a crossover cable from the Sonicwall to the switch. :-)
Yep that'll do it........:-)

Disclaimer: I have no clue what Greg is talking about.
[Reply]
tenbaseg 10:08 AM 07-31-2009
Originally Posted by gnukfu:

Did you stay at a holiday inn express last night?

.....is this becoming a masshole banter thread?
[Reply]
Mugen910 10:10 AM 07-31-2009

cross over cable is a network cable that has two diff end plugs for wiring..C'mon George you know that..I bet you even know the code sequence too.
[Reply]
Volt 11:05 AM 07-31-2009
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
cross over cable is a network cable that has two diff end plugs for wiring..C'mon George you know that..I bet you even know the code sequence too.
OW,O,GW,B,BW,G,BW,B ...... but I can't think of any 1/2 assed modern day switch/router, etc that isn't auto sensing
[Reply]
tchariya 12:29 PM 07-31-2009
Plug in the power supply to the wall outlet?
[Reply]
tchariya 12:33 PM 07-31-2009
on a serious note...

1) Plug all your devices into your cisco unmanaged switch.
2) unplug your Sonic wall from your cisco switch (for now)
3) shutdown all your gear.
4) turn on your switch, bring up your domain server(??), then your pcs and then your printer
5) if you know the ip address of all your devices, start doing a ping test to them from your computers.
6) then see if you can connect your printer etc etc.
7) if you like what you see out of your test results, plug for sonic firewall into your switch

Now...all these steps will be worthless IF your Sonic firewall is acting as a DHCP server and handing out ip address.
[Reply]
DougBushBC 01:19 PM 07-31-2009
The problem was solved by Mr. LeoM this morning, and it was the Sonicwall that was throwiing out the DHCP numbers.
[Reply]
Ken 08:42 PM 07-31-2009

We have a position opening up at work, you'll fit right in. :-)
[Reply]
Up