Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Anyone Know About Civil Air Patrol?
BlackDog 09:38 AM 02-02-2011
Do any of you know about the Civil Air Patrol? My 14 y/o son is interested on joining. We visited last night and it seems good, but I don't know anyone who has joined before. I'd like to get some more feedback if possible.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:38 AM 02-02-2011
I was in the Civil Air Patrol nearly 40 years ago when I was in high school. It was a pretty good organization training us for search and rescue, teaching us survival skills and allowing us to help out and provide support for civil authorities when needed (e.g., traffic/pedestrian flow for parades and the like).

Learned lots of good stuff -- some of which I still remember after all these years :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 10:41 AM 02-02-2011
I was in the CAP many, many years ago for a short time. If the squad is run by a competent commander, it's a great organization, especially if your son is interested in possibly joining the military. Unfortunately my squad was run by a complete doof and it was more the inmates running the show.

I do know a friend that used it to get a head start on his military career. If you hit certain ranks in the CAP, once you finish basic you can start out at a higher rank. At least it used to be that way, not sure now.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll try to answer what I can.
[Reply]
Up