Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Gurkha doble maduro
Legend 08:08 AM 02-17-2009
As promised I will start being a little more diligent in posting reviews.

Gurkha doble maduro. This is a CI exclusive which typically means its gonna be a 1 or 2 but Gurkha seems to be the only cigar maker that can make an exclusive for a company that is pretty good. The doble maduro is on par with the lower portion of the rest of the Gurkha main line. Medium in strength and full of rich toasty smoke. Through the nose is pleasant and smooth and adds a completely different woody flavor.

They are however inconsistant from time to time. I'd say 1 in 7 just isn't as good as normal. Or may have draw problems. They do have a tendancy to heat up as you get close to the nub. Don't let it happen. Purge it and let it cool. This is a very tasty part of the stick. I've burnt a few fingers or gotten out a toothpick or paperclip to get it down past a half an inch.

Legend rating 3.1. It honestly would be higher but the occasional bad one brings the score down. Within the 3 of course. Its a good smoke but not making the top 25 even with a perfect one.

This is actually one that I feel is very similar to the graycliff 1666 but richer in flavor. The 1666 has better consistancy and the doble maduro can be picked up for less.
[Reply]
Cenookie 09:43 PM 02-17-2009
Good review, I enjoy a Doble Maduro from time to time. I dry box prior to smoking and have never had a draw problem,(must be lucky).:-)
[Reply]
lightning9191 09:46 PM 02-17-2009
Thanx for the review...I have one of these hanging out in the humi...it just hasn't called my name yet.
[Reply]
Boobar 06:35 PM 02-18-2009
Thanks for the review, I like these and keep a few around to enjoy from time to time.
[Reply]
adampc22 06:45 PM 02-18-2009
i also have one of these i am yet to try
[Reply]
Up