Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Reading glasses
forgop 04:52 PM 06-16-2011
I wore glasses as a kid until I was 16 and I just quit wearing them. I just turned 37 and felt like I've lost just a bit of vision with reading. Picked up my new glasses yesterday and these things are really hard to get adjusted to and I don't dare use them for anything other than reading itself. I feel like I'm going to get a headache using them, but I think that's pretty typical getting used to glasses. Anyone else have difficulty making this adjustment?
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 04:56 PM 06-16-2011
Yep. Walking around wearing them was really weird for about a year. For six years now I've been through four prescriptions and I still don't like them. (sigh)
[Reply]
Ogre 05:10 PM 06-16-2011
I use reading glasses (or supposed to) and I have to take them off when I put what I am reading down. My eyes cant focus through the glasses for distance.
[Reply]
jjirons69 06:05 PM 06-16-2011
I had cataract surgery in both eyes a few months ago. I was literally going blind. I now have 20/13 vision in both eyes. It was a true miracle. The drawback to monofocal replacement lens is seeing detail up close. I can read this computer screen clear as a bell from 2 ft. At one foot, letters are fuzzy and starting to double. I wear 1.25 reading glasses at those short distance and everything pops back in. Not a bad trade-off. Eyesight was PERFECT until I hit 40.
[Reply]
TBone 06:10 PM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by Ogre3239:
I use reading glasses (or supposed to) and I have to take them off when I put what I am reading down. My eyes cant focus through the glasses for distance.
:-)
[Reply]
Bill86 06:12 PM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by forgop:
I wore glasses as a kid until I was 16 and I just quit wearing them. I just turned 37 and felt like I've lost just a bit of vision with reading. Picked up my new glasses yesterday and these things are really hard to get adjusted to and I don't dare use them for anything other than reading itself. I feel like I'm going to get a headache using them, but I think that's pretty typical getting used to glasses. Anyone else have difficulty making this adjustment?
Yes you will have this problem for several days to a week. It will go away. My advise never take them off, that way once you are use to it no more headaches.

I've worn glasses for ~8 years and contacts for ~8 years. I'm in soft lenses right now.

There is the same switch from glasses to contacts and vis-a-versa.

If they aren't reading glasses you will benefit from never taking them off greatly. If not ...I cannot speak on that one yet.
[Reply]
forgop 06:27 PM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
Yes you will have this problem for several days to a week. It will go away. My advise never take them off, that way once you are use to it no more headaches.

I've worn glasses for ~8 years and contacts for ~8 years. I'm in soft lenses right now.

There is the same switch from glasses to contacts and vis-a-versa.

If they aren't reading glasses you will benefit from never taking them off greatly. If not ...I cannot speak on that one yet.
These are strictly for reading. When I had my exam, I was good to go at distance, but the issue was more of the stuff up close. The doc had me go through the whole which is better, 1 or 2 for a bunch of lenses. She then showed me what the difference was between the lens vs. without and it was almost no difference for something at a distance.

When I wore them as a kid, I never took them off. I also recall an exam before I quit wearing them that the doctor commented I would probably never be able to wear contacts given how sensitive my eyes are. Even last week on a follow up appointment, this doctor asked if I had any itching. Contacts have probably come a long way, but I doubt I'll ever be in contacts.
[Reply]
Old Sailor 09:41 PM 06-16-2011
Been wearing glasses for 50 yrs now.......if I get new ones and after 2 weeks they still bother me, I take them back and have them check the prescription to make sure they are right. A few times I have found that they where not right and got them to remake the lenses, then all ok!:-)
[Reply]
OLS 08:18 AM 06-17-2011
Originally Posted by jjirons69:
Eyesight was PERFECT until I hit 40.
And then it drops off a cliff, seemingly overnight you can't see anything close.
I have let mine slip to the point where I really need a set of 1.0s to feel totally secure behind the wheel.
Still have not seen the opthamolgist, and like any panicked 40+ person, I have the house covered in
reading glasses, never wanting to be without the lifesaving lenses when I have to read something.
I told my mother the other day, I went into the bathroom and there were FOUR PAIR sitting on the sink
alone. :-): confused: :-)
[Reply]
OLS 08:20 AM 06-17-2011
Originally Posted by jjirons69:
Eyesight was PERFECT until I hit 40.
And then it drops off a cliff, seemingly overnight you can't see anything close.
I have let mine slip to the point where I really need a set of 1.0s to feel totally secure behind the wheel.
Still have not seen the opthamolgist, and like any panicked 40+ person, I have the house covered in
reading glasses, never wanting to be without the lifesaving lenses when I have to read something.
I told my mother the other day, I went into the bathroom and there were FOUR PAIR sitting on the
sink alone. :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 10:48 AM 06-17-2011
Originally Posted by Ogre3239:
:-) I hate getting old!:-)
[Reply]
Up