Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>What end do you smoke on a La Aurora?
Lexxxus 12:30 AM 07-07-2010
Got a box of the 5 Preferidos (5 colors in the fountain pen style tubos?)

They are true torpedos and they come with one end clipped. Is that the smoking end or the end you light?

Had the Ruby one and clipped the uncut end and lit the cut end... HArd to light and re-cut it to make for a bigger foot.

Took a while to get going (tight draw for a while) but it was pretty good. Very nice by the time I got to the middle.
[Reply]
T.G 12:46 AM 07-07-2010
The cut end should be the foot IIRC.

The orientation of the band is no different than most any other cigar. When you hold the cigar upright to read the band, the head should be at the top, the foot at the bottom.

Lastly, when in doubt, look at the wrapper leaf and how it overlaps. Cigar wrappers are applied starting at the foot and finishing at the head, so the "flap" of the overlap is toward the foot of the cigar.

If all else fails, punch the bastid in the middle and light both ends. :-)
[Reply]
Neuromancer 04:31 AM 07-07-2010
You always cut and light the capped end on this shape cigar...
[Reply]
bobarian 11:05 AM 07-07-2010
Originally Posted by Neuromancer:
You always cut and light the capped end on this shape cigar...
??? You cut the capped end and light the open end as Adam stated above.
[Reply]
elderboy02 11:07 AM 07-07-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
If all else fails, punch the bastid in the middle and light both ends. :-)
Ha! I have done that before with a Flor de Oliva Maduro because it sucked. Everyone at the table dared me to do it. It sucked even worse. I believe WhoDeySchenk has the pictures.
[Reply]
e-man67 11:12 AM 07-07-2010
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
Ha! I have done that before with a Flor de Oliva Maduro because it sucked. Everyone at the table dared me to do it. It sucked even worse. I believe WhoDeySchenk has the pictures.
It is not pretty let me tell you! :-)
[Reply]
T.G 11:33 AM 07-07-2010
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
Me too.

I used a Gurkha perfecto. (What else was I supposed to do with the POS? )

It got hot really fast, but at least it didn't explode.
Attached: 1853842.jpg (51.9 KB) 
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 11:38 AM 07-07-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
??? You cut the capped end and light the open end as Adam stated above.
:-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
Lexxxus 03:53 PM 07-07-2010
So I did it right. What a dunce! OF COURSE you'd cut the end nearest the label... I'm a goof!

Not a bad smoke but the severe taper on the foot required a couple cuts before it would burn properly.

Nice construction and gorgeous presentation. Overpriced... The Oliva "V" Beli blows it away.

W
[Reply]
T.G 04:07 PM 07-07-2010
Originally Posted by Lexxxus:
So I did it right. What a dunce! OF COURSE you'd cut the end nearest the label... I'm a goof!
Almost all of the time, that is the case, but every now and then, something happens that causes the band to end up on the wrong end of the cigar, which would, if followed, would have you lighting the head and smoking from the foot, so it's still worthwhile to check the flaps/overlap on the wrapper to see which way they face to ensure that you don't smoke it backward.

Not that it would be a big deal if you did, the wrapper unroll and might fall off, but that's really about it.
[Reply]
Up