Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Don Elias (What a surprise!)
Zoomschwortz 07:04 PM 01-20-2009
A little back ground first:
A running joke between fellow BOTL Billy Cigars and myself has been going on for many months now. It all started when I told Bill that I worked with the luckiest cigar smoker alive. After giving this man several higher end cigars, he said he still liked his Don Elias (very inexpensive) cigars better.

Bill and I have joked about them really being Davidoff 2nds and that we better stock up on them now because they are closing them out.

Well yesterday I asked this man to give me a handful of these cigars so I could see what they were like. He gave me 6 Churchills today and I lit one up as soon as I got home tonight and expected that I would be tossing it in an inch or so.

First thing I noticed was that the wrapper did not look the best. There was a place that had a small patch over what was most likely a hole. The cigar was slightly soft, but not spongy.

I clipped it with my Palio and found that it had a nice draw and pleasant prelight flavor.

When I lit the cigar I found that it had a medium amount of smoke and a nice medium body with a hint of citrus.

After a few more puffs it dawned on me that this cigar tasted a lot like a Davidoff. Now granted I haven't smoke a lot of Davidoffs, but the flavors from this cigar were flavors that I have noticed with the Davidoffs I have smoked.

For a cigar that before lighting, I knew I would be throwing away in an inch or so, I was very, very, surprised that I was really enjoying it so much.

I knew that this could not last very long and expected it to turn bad soon.

I was wrong and after smoking a third of it, I had to call Bill and tell him what I was smoking. At first, I don't think that Bill believed me when I told him I was really smoking one and even more unbelievable, I was really liking this cigar.

I will be giving one of these cigars to Bill tomorrow night at our HERF and hope that he might add something to this thread since he is really the Davidoff whore in our group.

Well the bad news about this cigar is that when I smoked 2/3 of it, I had finally had enough and had to put it out. I hadn't had enough of the cigar, I had enough of the cold, since the frost on the ground hadn't melted during the day and the temperature was starting to drop fast when the sun went behind the trees.

The cigar's flavors really didn't change in the first 2/3 of the cigar and might have stayed the same had I been able to smoke the whole thing, I'll need to smoke another one to find out.

The bottom line is, I liked this cigar and will most likely buy some boxes.

If you like Davidoff cigars, this is your yard gar.

If you like Davidoff cigars and don't need to have that perfect wrapper, you can buy 2 boxes of these for the price of 2 or 3 Davidoff cigars.

If you have champagne tastes and an ice water budget, give these a try.

Take care.
Ken
[Reply]
AD720 07:06 PM 01-20-2009
Shhhhhhhhhhhh! :-)

Those are pretty good for the dough, a really good yard gar.
[Reply]
G G 07:15 PM 01-20-2009
Been wondering about those, thanks for the info.
[Reply]
Dgar 02:02 PM 01-21-2009
Good review/story

Glad it worked out for ya' I think if we smoked all our cigars blindly we might be surprised with the cigars we smoked... Dollars spent does not always equate to a great cigar, sometimes those inexpensive cigars, the bundles or cheap smokes gifted to you that you probably would have never purchased can be really Okay... just keep an open mind, toss out any preconcieved ideas and your all good... much esier to talk about than do.
[Reply]
Coz77 11:55 AM 08-10-2009
Anymore info on these from the asylum...Seem to be enjoying the milder sticks these days might pull the trigger on a box.
[Reply]
Skywalker 11:59 AM 08-10-2009
Nice review and story!!!

Thank you!!!
:-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 01:06 PM 08-10-2009
Great review and story...thanks!!
[Reply]
The Poet 01:11 PM 08-10-2009
Originally Posted by Coz77:
Anymore info on these from the asylum...Seem to be enjoying the milder sticks these days might pull the trigger on a box.
On the one hand, considering the price, I don't see how wrong you could go. On the other, as I've seen these on "closeout" for a good two years now - by several vendors - I can't believe they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Just my :-).
[Reply]
coastietech 01:12 PM 08-10-2009
Where can these be found? And what the normal price for a bundle? I am trying to put a list of cheap bundles to pick up and this may go onto the list along with LHO's and TS #500 Maduro's
[Reply]
The Poet 01:15 PM 08-10-2009
Just double-checked, and yes, CI has them for $60-65 for two boxes (50 total) depending on vitola.
[Reply]
kelmac07 01:18 PM 08-10-2009
Originally Posted by The Poet:
Just double-checked, and yes, CI has them for $60-65 for two boxes (50 total) depending on vitola.
What a deal!!...Wish they made these in a maduro.
[Reply]
taltos 01:34 PM 08-10-2009
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
What a deal!!...Wish they made these in a maduro.
Thompson has them for about $90 for 2 boxes in maduro.
[Reply]
kelmac07 01:42 PM 08-10-2009
Originally Posted by taltos:
Thompson has them for about $90 for 2 boxes in maduro.
Thanks Paul!!
[Reply]
GHC_Hambone 02:45 PM 08-10-2009
Might have to try these, I love Davidoffs and for the price they seem like a good deal.
[Reply]
big a 02:51 PM 08-10-2009
very good to hear. I just picked up 12 of these a couple weeks ago. I can't wait to try one out now. Thanks for the review!
[Reply]
Up