Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>NC Cigars
systm 12:24 AM 12-31-2009
So I've heard various things about the NC versions of popular CC brands such as Punch, H. Upmann, Partagas, etc. Do they compare or are worth trying?
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 12:28 AM 12-31-2009
They like comparing apples to oranges. The only thing similar is the name. Everything is worth trying to see what you like.

:-)
[Reply]
baldanders 12:33 AM 12-31-2009
IMHO Thats like comparing apples and oranges. If you take the NC versions and smoke them you more then likely will think some are good and some are bad just like most other brands. It all comes down to your own tastes.
[Reply]
baldanders 12:34 AM 12-31-2009
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
They like comparing apples to oranges. The only thing similar is the name. Everything is worth trying to see what you like.

Great minds think alike!
[Reply]
Zanaspus 03:25 AM 12-31-2009
Can't be compared is correct. That being said, any Punch or a Partegas Black are fine smokes IMHO. :-)
[Reply]
baldanders 03:31 AM 12-31-2009
I like the new Punch Uppercut a lot.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 04:02 AM 12-31-2009
I liked the Partagas Spanish Rosado, didn't like the Partagas black, any punch I tried so far or the Dominican Bolivar. But that's just my opinion.
[Reply]
longknocker 04:03 AM 12-31-2009
Never Liked Any Of The Cohiba NCs. Waste Of Money, IMHO.:-)
[Reply]
Whynot 05:37 AM 12-31-2009
This is just my opinion, but I have found many newer CCs to not live up to the hype. I admit to not smoking any older stock ones, but most of the best "blenders" have left cuba to set up shop where they have autonomy from the government. Don't get me wrong, some CCs are great, but so are many NCs. I think the forbidden fruit aspect plays into it alot. In Europe, many folks stick with others, when Cubans are readily available.
[Reply]
Lucky_Hippo 05:56 AM 12-31-2009
Take them each at their own merit and not as a comparison to their CC counterparts and you may find a few that you like.
[Reply]
s15driftking 06:20 AM 12-31-2009
OP, Are you MroneyedBoh's alter-ego?
[Reply]
RevSmoke 07:05 AM 12-31-2009
Originally Posted by systm:
So I've heard various things about the NC versions of popular CC brands such as Punch, H. Upmann, Partagas, etc. Do they compare or are worth trying?
They share names, but that is all. Don't put them on the same playing field as they come from different growing regions and the climate, soil, etc.. all have an effect on their composition.

However, that being said, the NCs are definitely worth trying. They are worth trying, just because they are good cigars - not because they "compare" to the CCs whose name they share.

Personally, some of them I like, some I love, some I seriously stay away from. To find out what you like, you should try them.

Find a review site and discover what other have said. But be warned, don't judge them by comments such as, "I liked it," "I didn't like it." Find descriptions of the flavors, and those that sound like things YOU'D like, try them.

Hope that helps.
[Reply]
wayner123 07:25 AM 12-31-2009
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:

[Reply]
pmwz 10:03 AM 12-31-2009
you can compare them:
cuban and nc cigar have both wrapper, binder + filler. you can smoke them. you can taste them...
but they dont taste alike, they dont even use the classic cuban sizes on the nc counterparts. try them and decide if you like them.
[Reply]
JJG 10:51 AM 12-31-2009
I don't think the NC manufacturers even attempt to make the cigars taste like their Cuban counterparts. However, some are still quite good. I really enjoy the Honduran ERdMs and I know there are more than a few fans of the NC Montecristo lines here.
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 11:39 AM 12-31-2009
When I first started smoking, I would smoke the NC Bolis, Partys, Upmanns, etc. and now that I've transition to CC, the flavors are not anything a like. Although I still do enjoy a few nc cuban name smokes, it's just not the same other than the name imo.
[Reply]
systm 11:51 AM 12-31-2009
thanks for all your thoughts on the subject, I heard some good things about Punch Uppercut, snagged one on Cbid, going to give it a shot.
[Reply]
Up