Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Working from home vs communting
Scothew 04:01 PM 08-15-2011
hey all, wanted to get some opinions.

I have a meeting in the morning for a company and the owner has said that he wants to make an offer for me to come work for him. My question is, what difference in salary would you think it would roughly take to make up for the fact I work at home now.

things ive been trying to think of and factor in is drive time, i'll be working roughly 50min from home (i live in a rural area). I'll go from not driving to driving roughly 85-90 miles a day. Food cost while eating out, clotching expenses, car maintence are all factors ive been trying to figure out.

Gas is roughly 3.62 a gallon here on average I think, which is the birmingham AL area.

Just thinking, A rough bare minimum to really keep me at the same pay scale im at now would be a $7,000 a year increase over what I make now to justify me loosing the time and money i'll be out by introducing commuting again.

Thanks in advance
[Reply]
icehog3 04:16 PM 08-15-2011
Factor in the 2 hours a day of driving....time is priceless. :-)
[Reply]
WittyUserName 04:25 PM 08-15-2011
I would be very liberal in your calculations. Costs always increase!!
[Reply]
hotreds 05:51 PM 08-15-2011
Another thing to consider is the benefits. Does the new job have more/better? I think govt depreciation allowance is about 51 cents per mile. So, figure on 55 cents a mile for car depreciation. I think you'd need much more than a $7000 increase to break even!
[Reply]
jjirons69 05:52 PM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Factor in the 2 hours a day of driving....time is priceless. :-)
+1

If you have kids or when you have kids, this time is truly priceless.

Plus, you'd have to shower daily and couldn't wear pajamas all day. :-) And you'd have to get up earlier - which means a lot to me!
[Reply]
TheTraveler 07:06 PM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by jjirons69:
If you have kids or when you have kids ...
... factor in the costs of daycare or babysitters during the summer when you'll no longer be there to take care of them after school.
[Reply]
Hippiebrian 07:39 PM 08-15-2011
I quit driving in October. I haven't watched what I spend at all in that time. I've been eating out more, eating more in general as I bicycle everywhere, buying quality sticks, etc. yet somehow I have amassed over 7 grand extra (above what I usually put aside) in that time. Driving is expensive as heck! I'm in agreement with hotreds though, don't forget to factor in benefits suchh as medical insurance, 401k matches which add up quickly, etc.
[Reply]
Scothew 08:40 PM 08-15-2011
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
icehog3 08:41 PM 08-15-2011
Hopefully they will hook you up with a better cell phone. :-) :-)
[Reply]
Scothew 08:45 PM 08-15-2011
Thanks guys, gives me a few more things to look at. Currently my wife is a stay home mom with our 2yr old, so babysitter is a null value. Other part is my current division is basically being phased out, so a more stable position and a chance for growth is what's to come with a new job. I've survived 8 lay offs in 9yr so I figure I'm on borrowed time ( only 4 ppl left in my division). We will see what kind of offer comes.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Aporschaguy 08:46 PM 08-15-2011
I work from home and have done so for the past 10 years. It's great but it has it's drawbacks. My wife needs to remember just cause I'm home doesn't keen she can bother me when ever she wants. Boundaries are a must have when working from home. However I'd never go back to 9-5 ever.
[Reply]
Scothew 09:04 PM 08-15-2011
Yeah in nearly 3 yrs mine hasn't learned that.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Ogre 09:15 PM 08-15-2011
Look on line and find out what the operation cost of your vehicle is. Most cars are around 30 cents a mile (tires, oil changes ect). It might help in calculating what you want.
[Reply]
Up