Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Technical advice on changing ISPs
kaisersozei 01:32 PM 08-15-2011
After months of working with Comcast to fix a maintenance problem that they have clearly identified, yet can't seem to resolve, I have decided to make the switch to Verizon FIOS.

I'm anticipating a big headache in changing over my email account. Not the inbox issue, that's pretty easy. I'm worried about all those websites, accounts, on-line shops, etc., that are tied to my blahblahblahxxx@comcast.net account that will now have to point to another email address. I'm thinking of everywhere that I've registered with that email address--we've been with Comcast for more than 10 years, so tracking down all the accounts that can be affected for everyone in the family is giving me the shakes. Going through my browser history, inbox, etc., will give me the most frequently used sites, like CA, but I'm sure I'll miss some.

Is there any easy way to convert this, something other than a manual process? Anybody go through this recently with tips on how to make it less painful?

Thanks!
[Reply]
WittyUserName 01:40 PM 08-15-2011
As far as I know you have to go to the sites and change the email address attached to each account. You could also see if comcast will let you keep your email.

My suggestion is to create a Google/yahoo email address. That way you will never have this problem again.

I hope you get it worked out, I know first hand it is a pain in the A$$.
[Reply]
357 01:41 PM 08-15-2011
I think you can have Comcast create a forwarding rule for you. Contact Comcast Customer Service and ask them. That said, when you setup forwarding and change your e-mail address within your various accounts, use a gmail, yahoo, or some other e-mail not tied to your ISP. I haven't check or even logged into my ISP e-mail in over 10 years. I've probably changed ISPs 6 times in that strech without the headache you're going through now.
[Reply]
shilala 01:43 PM 08-15-2011
I just did the same thing, Gerard. I just did it all piecemail. I kept sticky notes on my desk and made note whenever I thought of something I had to change. Every time I buy something online or visit an old website I change. This time around I used my gmail address, and I'll continue using it from here on out for just this reason. I won't have an isp-based email address again.
[Reply]
RGD. 05:08 PM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by WittyUserName:
. . .

My suggestion is to create a Google/yahoo email address. That way you will never have this problem again.

. . .

Yep.

Ron
[Reply]
jjirons69 05:50 PM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by WittyUserName:
My suggestion is to create a Google/yahoo email address.
Saved me. Then my wife. Then my mom.

It'll save you....
[Reply]
kaisersozei 09:41 AM 08-16-2011
Thanks all--we were planning to move everything to gmail, so I'll start setting up mail forwarding. Unfortunately, it sounds like cleaning up the comcast account links will be a manual process :-) Ah well, at least I'll be rid of my Comcast frustrations.
[Reply]
shilala 10:04 AM 08-16-2011
My M/FIL have Time Warner out in the sticks. I've seen dialup that performed better. They're considering switching to dish for football season, maybe they'll dump the internet service and go another route.
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:35 AM 08-16-2011
This is why it pays to have an email address that is separate from your ISP -- an address that you use for all the important stuff. It can be a GMail, Hotmail, or whatever address (you can even get your own domain if you want).

This allows you to change your ISP without having to go through and fix your PP, Bank, and other web site profiles...
[Reply]
Up