Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Fine for illegally downloading music
skullnrose 10:45 PM 06-18-2009
Just saw this story on CNN. Pretty crazy!

(CNN) -- A federal jury Thursday found a 32-year-old Minnesota woman guilty of illegally downloading music from the Internet and fined her $80,000 each -- a total of $1.9 million -- for 24 songs.
Illegal downloads of musical files will cost a Minnesota woman $1.9 million, a jury has decided.

Illegal downloads of musical files will cost a Minnesota woman $1.9 million, a jury has decided.

Jammie Thomas-Rasset's case was the first such copyright infringement case to go to trial in the United States, her attorney said.

Attorney Joe Sibley said that his client was shocked at fine, noting that the price tag on the songs she downloaded was 99 cents.

She plans to appeal, he said.

Cara Duckworth, a spokeswoman for the Recording Industry Association of America, said the RIIA was "pleased that the jury agreed with the evidence and found the defendant liable."

"We appreciate the jury's service and that they take this as seriously as we do," she said.

Thomas-Rasset downloaded work by artists such as No Doubt, Linkin Park, Gloria Estefan and Sheryl Crow.
Don't Miss

* Steven Van Zandt on music and technology
* France gets tough on illegal downloading

This was the second trial for Thomas-Rasset. The judge ordered a retrial in 2007 after there was an error in the wording of jury instructions.

The fines jumped considerably from the first trial, which granted just $220,000 to the recording companies.

Thomas-Rasset is married with four children and works for an Indian tribe in Minnesota.
[Reply]
Bruzee 10:48 PM 06-18-2009
Wow, crazy. I just pay the 99 cents. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 11:40 PM 06-18-2009
Most civil juries and the award amounts they give are absolutely ridiculous.
[Reply]
SeanGAR 02:28 AM 06-19-2009
I wonder what the fine would have been if she had stolen $24 worth of pepperoni from Piggly WIgly.

Idiots on the jury.
[Reply]
Starscream 11:26 AM 06-19-2009
Kinda scary after all of the music that I've downloaded for free over the years.
[Reply]
trader1974 11:35 AM 06-19-2009
Crazy!
[Reply]
cricky101 12:07 PM 06-19-2009
Originally Posted by SeanGAR:
I wonder what the fine would have been if she had stolen $24 worth of pepperoni from Piggly WIgly.

Idiots on the jury.
:-) She may have broken the law but this whole trial has made a mockery of it.
[Reply]
pnoon 01:23 PM 06-19-2009
This is why it bugs me that intelligent, fair-minded people piss and moan about jury duty and do anything to get out of it. Sure the process can be tedious. But I sure hope if I ever need a jury that they will be fair. I sure wish I had a clue as to what those knuckleheads on the jury were thinking.

:-)
[Reply]
TheTraveler 01:40 PM 06-19-2009
Originally Posted by pnoon:
This is why it bugs me that intelligent, fair-minded people piss and moan about jury duty and do anything to get out of it. Sure the process can be tedious. But I sure hope if I ever need a jury that they will be fair. I sure wish I had a clue as to what those knuckleheads on the jury were thinking.

:-) Well said.
[Reply]
kelmac07 01:41 PM 06-19-2009
Originally Posted by pnoon:

Wanna know???.........

I'm thinking Arby's!!!! That's what they were thinking.
[Reply]
BigFrank 01:36 PM 06-20-2009
i will continue to DL illegally.
[Reply]
The Poet 01:49 PM 06-20-2009
Hey, if you can't do the time . . . .

Anybody know where I can cop some Cubans?
[Reply]
Up