Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Maui Jim Sunglasses
ChicagoWhiteSox 08:53 AM 06-21-2010
Anyone have a pair?

I need a nice pair of shades and want some opinions. I want a brown tone/rose lens.

Thanks in advance:-)
[Reply]
Blueface 09:00 AM 06-21-2010
Recent thread on this subject.
Just about everyone that responded about polarized glasses loves Maui Jims.
I can't use mine anymore due to wearing eyeglasses but am in the process of having a prescription set made later this year.
The rose tone is the one I have and is awesome for driving.
I would never wear sunglasses that are not Maui Jims, that is how much I love them.
[Reply]
captain53 09:05 AM 06-21-2010
Funny you should ask, I got some for Fathers Day. My son and wife both have worn them a long time and like them very much. I wore mine yesterday some and seemed ok but not enough use to provide any real input.
[Reply]
poker 09:07 AM 06-21-2010
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31866

I have a couple pairs of Maui Jims glasses. Great glasses IMHO.
[Reply]
Blueface 09:07 AM 06-21-2010
Originally Posted by captain53:
Funny you should ask, I got some for Fathers Day. My son and wife both have worn them a long time and like them very much. I wore mine yesterday some and seemed ok but not enough use to provide any real input.
Best way to be blown away is to get a regular pair and put them on. Then take them off and put the Maui Jims on. Then go back again and do it all over again.
You will be blown away when you learn what you have been missing.
[Reply]
hockeymaniac 09:21 AM 06-21-2010
I have a pair of prescription Maui Jim's. Nice glasses but the case didn't hold up to well. Expensive also.
[Reply]
skullnrose 09:27 AM 06-21-2010
Love my Maui Jim's !
[Reply]
awsmith4 09:48 AM 06-21-2010
I've had 3 pairs, the lens were great but the frames and the nose pieces have all been very delicate. I lost one pair, returned the second, sold the third. Its probably me that I am too hard on glasses, again the lens were some of the best I've ever looked through.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 10:06 AM 06-21-2010
Never had a pair, but they are known as one of the top brands for polarized lenses and their frames are good quality in general.
[Reply]
md4958 07:38 AM 06-22-2010
Ive owned several pairs and they are IMO the best lens on the market... the styles leave a bit to be desired, but they are getting better.

Last time around I purchased a pair of Ray Bans instead, and while they were more attractive (and less expensive) they just dont compare to Jims.

My favorite pair are the Flexons (not sure if they make them anymore), however I managed to scratch the glass lens twice. The repair cost is $75 every time you need a new lens because they have to replace both. The Flexon frames were pretty much indestructible though. A bit heavy because of the glass. Had those for 3 or 4 years before scratching the lens a second time and retiring them.

My Waileas were SUPER light, to the point where you dont feel them on. Those broke the nose pads but it was my fault. I have another pair of sports that have an actual hinge... I dont recommend those as the frames arent memory metal like the others and I ended up mangling them up a bit.

The prices are a little steep, but if you take care of them they are a great investment.
[Reply]
MikeyC 07:58 AM 06-22-2010
My uncle was an optician for probably 30 years (possibly more) and he always told me Maui Jims have the best lenses money can buy. Also, I went into a store one time to shop for Maui Jims and the guy told me he didn't carry them and admitted the MJ lenses were better than anything he sold.

I've probably owned MJ sunglasses exclusively for 15 years now and I won't buy anything else. I had the flexible frame model Moe is referring to and HATED them. They don't fold up so you can't tuck them in your shirt which always drove me batty.

When it comes down to it the most important thing with sunglasses is being able to see. MJ's do that better than any other company IMO.

PS - I prefer the brown lenses.
[Reply]
md4958 08:16 AM 06-22-2010
Originally Posted by MikeyC:
They don't fold up so you can't tuck them in your shirt which always drove me batty.
I didnt like this either, but I would either tuck the ends under one another and slide them in my pocket, or just wear them on my head. Thats actually how I broke the nose pads, I had them on my head and was kicking the soccer ball around. They are so light I forgot I had them on my head, went for a header and thats how they broke.
[Reply]
Up