Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Beat the man (who in this case is a woman)
DoctorBJ 11:00 AM 10-30-2009
Here's a little background. I recruit, train and license people to be foster parents for children with SEVERE behavioral concerns. While recruiting, I also maintain all he current homes. I've worked with this program for about 5 years and transferred to the Clearwater area last december to be closer to family.

When I moved, I took alot of flak from the ladies who work in this office, including from a supervisor who was a little intimidated that I used to do her job AND mine at my last office. She set a lofty goal for recruitment at 8 new homes licensed in a year. when I asked why that number (the average is about 3-4) she explained that their person who was leaving once had a year where she got 7. They figured that despite that person having 10 years experience, that I could beat her number.

For those of you that don't know, I'm highly motivated by competition and proving others wrong. So, today I recieved confirmation on home number 8. In fact, monday I expect that number 9 will be signed as well. I'm a month from my year anniversary in this office and plan to get 2 more completed before I hot that year mark.

So... today, I plan to cut out early and smoke something yummy.
[Reply]
Mugen910 11:03 AM 10-30-2009
I hate the "This person intimidates me so I'll mess with them" game...I really do...but great work on meeting their expectations and then shoving it in their faces..
[Reply]
ade06 11:06 AM 10-30-2009
Good job!!! You do know that next years' goal will be higher than 10 homes...
[Reply]
DoctorBJ 11:22 AM 10-30-2009
About 3 months in, I made it clear they woudl get their goal met, but that next year I need some administrative support or a lower goal. The words "You're not getting 8 next year" have already been said. Plus, my super is nw freaking out because she never intended to get so many, and shes struggling to handle all of them.
[Reply]
JE3146 11:26 AM 10-30-2009
Don't become a victim of you're own success. Only words I can think of at the moment :-)
[Reply]
GKitty 12:21 PM 10-30-2009
Originally Posted by JE3146:
Don't become a victim of your own success.
Corrected and seconded. You've got to make sure the pace you set is sustainable.

But more importantly, as someone who also thrives on competition and proving others wrong, I congratulate you. Nothing ensures something will get done as well as telling people like us that it can't be done.

As the coffee mug on my desk says: Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.
[Reply]
DoctorBJ 12:25 PM 10-30-2009
Ohhh Crystal I might be adding that to my monitor. Thanks hun. And yes.. I've seen your version of competition. : )

The pace is no problem. I'm actually on track to start next year with a few.
[Reply]
kelmac07 12:47 PM 10-30-2009
Good for you BJ!! :-)
[Reply]
Up