Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Florida Seafood
Wondering Nomad 01:51 PM 12-25-2010
I'm on my way to Tampa for a few days and would like to enjoy some fresh seafood. Does anyone know the current state of the seafood industry? Are there certain things I should avid due to the oil spill or is everything ok? I think I'd have a hard time ordering any shellfish.

Anything I should check out while I'm there? I haven't been home in 5 years so I figure things have changed.
[Reply]
floydpink 02:49 PM 12-25-2010
Frenchies, Clearwater. Grouper Sandwich.

Nothing better.
[Reply]
floydpink 03:06 PM 12-25-2010
Oh, and don't worry about oil on the beach or dead fish floating.

The only oil to be found is on the pale northern tourists' backs.
[Reply]
Coach Deg 04:19 PM 12-25-2010
Island way grill Clearwater
Salt rock grill st pete

Both are awesome!!
[Reply]
floydpink 04:44 PM 12-25-2010
Almost forgot.

The all you can eat seafood buffet at Shepherds on Clearwater Beach is great.
[Reply]
Blueface 04:45 PM 12-25-2010
Originally Posted by floydpink:

Nothing better.
OMG!!!

I am longing for one so, so much.
[Reply]
Blueface 04:46 PM 12-25-2010
Originally Posted by Coach Deg:
Island way grill Clearwater
Salt rock grill st pete

Both are awesome!!
Love Salt Rock Grille.
[Reply]
MiamiE 06:27 PM 12-25-2010
Frenchies is AWESOME!
[Reply]
floydpink 07:25 PM 12-25-2010
I actually found a place on Sand Key, over the bridge from Clearwater Beach, called Backwaters.

It's owned by the same guy who owns Maggies, the hole in the water breakfast joint that is packed with locals like Hulk Hogan and is on the same boardwalk as Columbia and Maggies called Shoppes of Sand Key.

It's out the back door from the Marriott where we always stay on Sand Key and I find their grouper to be as good, if not better, than Frenchy's.

Nothing beats the sunset views from Rockaway Frenchys though.
[Reply]
tobii3 06:25 PM 12-26-2010
My week in Tampa was Mitchells, Bahama Breeze, Aquaknox and Mangroves.

It was a rough trip.
[Reply]
Ogre 06:28 PM 12-26-2010
I actually found a place on Sand Key, over the bridge from Clearwater Beach, called Backwaters.

It's owned by the same guy who owns Maggies, the hole in the water breakfast joint that is packed with locals like Hulk Hogan and is on the same boardwalk as Columbia and Maggies called Shoppes of Sand Key.

It's out the back door from the Marriott where we always stay on Sand Key and I find their grouper to be as good, if not better, than Frenchy's.

Nothing beats the sunset views from Rockaway Frenchys though.
:-) Been there a few times
[Reply]
rizzle 09:42 AM 12-27-2010

Nothing better.
Dockside Daves, Madeira Beach. Grouper Sandwich. And make sure to get the onion rings also.

Nothing. Better. Anywhere. Trust me on this one.:-)

Although Frenchy's is good, Dockside Dave's grouper sandwich puts them to shame. Each sandwich is a cut on order 8 oz slab of grouper.

Now the She Crab Soup at Frenchy's is to die for. I've never had a better bowl of soup or chowder anywhere. Seriously. If you could combine those three offerings from those two restaurants you would be a millionaire in no time.

Island Way is good but I prefer Salt Rock. They're owned by the same group and they catch their own fish, except of course, the sushi at Island Way and the tuna at Salt Rock.

Another favorite place of mine that doesn't quite get the talk that it probably should is Guppy's on Indian Rocks Beach. Hard to go wrong there either.

As for the oil spill, what oil spill? In all seriousness, nothing to worry about. And also, if you're coming to this area you'd be well advised to get a cuban sammich or three and a stuffed potato at La Ideal in Tampa. Your belly will thank me for it.

Enjoy! :-)
[Reply]
IBQTEE1 11:11 AM 12-27-2010
There is a really cool place called the Rusty Pelican. It is right on the water. Little bit more upscale.
[Reply]
Up