Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Rant and looking for insight.....
BradNC 09:32 PM 07-27-2010
Hello all.

I've been trying out some more CC with some high end NC and sometimes I taste the flavors and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I just get that bitter, burned taste like it needs to be purged but I'm afraid it is just me. I'm really trying to smoke slow and take my time. Any insight? I'm using beads from Heartfelt in my desktop and it is at 65%.

I've been reading on here of course and experimented with different lighting methods, drinks paired with the cigars, etc. Maybe this is just a rant while also asking for insight.

Thanks,
Brad
[Reply]
kgoings 09:35 PM 07-27-2010
Originally Posted by BradNC:
Hello all.

I've been trying out some more CC with some high end NC and sometimes I taste the flavors and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I just get that bitter, burned taste like it needs to be purged but I'm afraid it is just me. I'm really trying to smoke slow and take my time. Any insight? I'm using beads from Heartfelt in my desktop and it is at 65%.

I've been reading on here of course and experimented with different lighting methods, drinks paired with the cigars, etc. Maybe this is just a rant while also asking for insight.

Thanks,
Brad
Are you using a digital hygrometer? Have you calibrated it? How full is your desktop humidor. Are you smoking the cigars too hot? Try sipping the smoke, and see if that makes a difference. Sometimes smaller and thinner cigars need to be smoked a bit slower.
[Reply]
SaltyMcGee 09:38 PM 07-27-2010
Don't overthink it. Keep smoking what you enjoy, and avoid what bores you. If you really just want to taste the cigar pair it with water to catch the flavors.

Lastly, exhale some of the smoke out of your nose, and make sure you aren't sick or you really won't be able to taste anything!
[Reply]
bsmokin 10:22 PM 07-27-2010
One thing I find that helps with the bitter taste sometimes is to blow out through the cigar. I find this helps purge the bitter taste a bit and allows me to smoke the cigar easier. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 11:01 PM 07-27-2010
Brad,

I shouldn't be telling you this, but, it's Bob's fault. He got his Hawaiian mojo going and conjured up an ancient Huna spell upon you, that until you made it to a BABOTL herf, you would be afflicted by the huli-huli tastebuds of the dammed.

Ok, seriously, your humidor is at 65%, but what are your cigars at? Are they recently received from a vendor or B&M who might have stored them at 70% or even higher? If so, they need to shed some moisture, this can take time. You can try leaving them out of the humidor for a few days on the counter to dry, see if that helps.

Also, any possibility that you might have a sinus condition right now with all the pollen we have floating around? Or an ear/nose/throat issue? Any of these can really screw with your taste buds.

How often do you smoke? Daily? Multiple cigars per day? Once a week? If you take long breaks (a few - many days) between cigars, it's not surprising that the first few puffs might taste a bit charcoal like to you. At least that's what happens with me when I don't smoke on a rather regular basis.

And follow Jared's advice, this stuff can just take time. Don't force it.
[Reply]
Chingas 11:16 PM 07-27-2010
Everyone here mentioned some great advice. I really like the don't over think it method. Smoking cigars is a joy, an adventure and ever evolving passion but don't Make it happen, Let it happen.

Best of luck to you brother.
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 11:36 PM 07-27-2010
Brad, if you have problems with your smokes, I will gladly swing by the office tomorrow and take them off your hands. :-)
[Reply]
BradNC 12:08 AM 07-28-2010
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda:
Brad, if you have problems with your smokes, I will gladly swing by the office tomorrow and take them off your hands. :-)
I bet you would! :-)

As far as the other questions above....

I will have to think about Bob's spell. Hmmmm. I think Huy did a spell too. Until I figure this out I guess that is helping to keep me away from the herfs.

I'll admit that one or two cigars I had this week had only rested a week. My desktop humidor has been a bit packed but the RH was right. I moved everything around earlier in the week to make sure everyone in the humidor was getting their chance. :-) I've got my eye on the Wine Enthusiast wine cooler Home Depot sells that is 30 bottles or so...then I can order drawers from Chas. The part that takes the wind out of my sails is that when I have a so-so cigar experience I think, "dang, glad I haven't blown money on a wine cooler with drawers, etc." I know that is bad but just what pops in my mind.

I purge when I feel I need to but I'm guessing I'm doing that way too much. I'll confess I do it at the first hint of not tasting right. I've got to really be aware of how fast I'm smoking and pace myself. I guess I'm afraid it is going to go out or something but if it does, it isn't like I can't relight it. Anyway, thanks for the insight guys and listening to my ramblings. :-)
[Reply]
kgoings 12:12 AM 07-28-2010
When my humidor got packed, all the cigars started tasting like a camp fire.

Get the wine cooler, and till you get the shelves, get some empty cigar boxes and put the cigars in them. They got to get some air moving.
[Reply]
dwoodward 12:41 AM 07-28-2010
Sometimes a break is all you need. Instead of your daily cigar, just hold off for a few days and then start with something that has always been a long time favorite of yours. Forget the cigars that you want to try, just go back to a good old favorite that can help you get those familiar flavors pumping.
[Reply]
BradNC 04:16 PM 07-29-2010
Just an update. I gave it a break for 2 days and right now I'm enjoying an Epernay Le Grande. Huy encouraged me to buy some of these many weeks ago so I got the sampler. Very nice cigar! Thanks for the recommendation Huy and insight on here folks. I did use a soft flame lighter on this one so maybe I'm nuking it with my xtend lighter. Of course this is the first time I've ever had an Epernay too. Regardless, I'm now remembering why I love this hobby so much. :-)
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 04:26 PM 07-29-2010
For what it's worth, sometimes I think it depends on you just as much as the cigar. What your frame of mind is; what you may be drinking; what you've eaten; whether you're really concentrating on the cigar versus just smoking it; how much you've been smoking recently; whether your taste buds are having a good day or not.

Then you have all the variables associated with the cigar itself.

Keeps the experience interesting. :-)
[Reply]
Mr B 04:31 PM 07-29-2010
Originally Posted by BradNC:
Just an update. I gave it a break for 2 days and right now I'm enjoying an Epernay Le Grande. Huy encouraged me to buy some of these many weeks ago so I got the sampler. Very nice cigar! Thanks for the recommendation Huy and insight on here folks. I did use a soft flame lighter on this one so maybe I'm nuking it with my xtend lighter. Of course this is the first time I've ever had an Epernay too. Regardless, I'm now remembering why I love this hobby so much. :-)

Very good choice. The Epernays are one of my Favs.
[Reply]
Chingas 10:27 PM 07-29-2010
Glad to see your back! Got a few of those sticks too. Havnt tried it yet. Can't wait!
[Reply]
Up